The Salem City Council on Monday is set to consider accepting an $850,000 grant to bring air service to the Salem Airport.
The city was awarded the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Small Community Air Service Grant to recruit, initiate and support new air service to California, Nevada and Arizona.
More:Salem gets $850K federal grant to attract airlines
According to city staff, the $850,000 grant will provide at least 70.83% of the funds and the $350,000 in local matching funds raised by the community will provide the remaining 29.17%.
Travel Salem will be the fiduciary agent for the reimbursement of local matching funds.
According to a city report, should the community’s local matching funds fall short of the $350,000 pledged, the grant will cease and be returned to the Department of Transportation. No city funds will be used to backfill any shortfall of local matching funds.
Other agenda items include:
- Authorizing the city manager to execute an agreement with the Department of Land Conservation and Development to evaluate walkable, mixed-use areas and develop a community engagement plan.
- Naming an unnamed connection between streets in West Salem near Capital Manor. Staff are hoping that naming the street Westside Circle NW will help first responders reach the multifamily complex known as Westside Villas in the retirement community.
- Reversing the City Council’s denial of a driveway approach permit for a 26-building apartment complex that was appealed to the Land Use Board of Appeals.
- Public hearing for Community Development Block Grant and HOME investment partnership program’s Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report.
Explainer: What are the rules around public meetings and public comment in Oregon?
The meeting is at 6 p.m. It is virtual and can be watched on Comcast Cable CCTV Channel 21 or on the Salem YouTube channel in English/American Sign Language and Spanish.
Written public comments on agenda items can be emailed by 5 p.m. Monday to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or pre-register between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday at cityofsalem.net/Pages/Public-Comment-at-Salem-City-Council-Meeting.aspx to speak during the meeting via Zoom.
For questions, comments and news tips, email reporter Whitney Woodworth at email@example.com, call 503-910-6616 or follow on Twitter @wmwoodworth