Here’s your Daily News for Tuesday, May 10.
- As promised, new polling is out today on the closely watched Republican primary for the United States Senate.
- Affirming what some other recent polls have shown, our ADN/Gray TV poll conducted by Cygnal shows Katie Britt continuing her steady climb to now lead the race with two weeks to go until election day.
- Meanwhile, Mike Durant has slipped precipitously from his frontrunner status in March, a victim to the deluge of attacks from an outside group opposing him.
- Mo Brooks has some movement, too!
- ADN Insiders can see all the numbers HERE.
- Not an ADN Insider? You’re missing out!
- Become a paying member of the ADN community today and you’ll be supporting our work to provide quality reporting and analysis. See rates and packages HERE.
- A former Alabama jail official on the run with a murder suspect she was accused of helping escape shot and killed herself Monday as authorities caught up with the pair after more than a week of searching, officials said. The man she fled with surrendered.
- The death of Vicky White, 56, only deepened the mystery of why a respected jail official would leave everything to help free Casey White, 38, a hulking inmate with a violent and frightening history.
- The two fugitives were caught — following a manhunt through three states — in Evansville, Indiana, when U.S. Marshals chasing them crashed into their vehicle, authorities said. Casey White gave himself up and Vicky White shot herself and was taken to a hospital, authorities said. Vanderburgh County Coroner Steve Lockyear said she died from her injuries.
- Read more from Kim Chandler and Mike Balsamo HERE.
- It’s official: Airbus will build a third assembly line at its airliner production facility in Mobile.
- The expansion was signaled last week by Airbus leadership who said the move is designed to boost production of the A320 family of aircraft that are popular with airlines for domestic routes.
- The new assembly line will mean an additional 1,000 jobs at Airbus’ campus at the Brookley Complex, which already employed 1,200.
- “The fact that Mobile will lead our unprecedented global production rate increase in coming years is a tribute to the world-class labor force in Alabama,” said C. Jeffrey Knittel, chairman and CEO of Airbus Americas.
- Gov. Kay Ivey touted the expansion saying it was made possible “by the company’s skilled workforce in Alabama and our commitment to developing a pipeline of future aerospace workers.”
- Read more HERE.
- Washington sought to portray a united front against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as President Joe Biden signed a bipartisan measure to reboot the World War II-era “lend-lease” program, which helped defeat Nazi Germany, to bolster Kyiv and Eastern European allies.
- The signing Monday came as the U.S. Congress is poised to unleash billions more to fight the war against Russia — with Democrats preparing $40 billion in military and humanitarian aid, larger than the $33 billion package Biden has requested.
- It all serves as a rejoinder to Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has seized on Victory in Europe Day — the anniversary of Germany’s unconditional surrender in 1945 and Russia’s biggest patriotic holiday — to rally his people behind the invasion.
- “This aid has been critical to Ukraine’s success on the battlefield,” Biden said in a statement.
- Full story HERE.
- Ray Scott, a consummate promoter who helped launch professional bass angling and became a fishing buddy to presidents while popularizing the conservation practice of catching and releasing fish, has died, a longtime aide said Monday.
- Scott died of natural causes late Sunday at a rehabilitation center near Montgomery, said Jim Kientz, who worked for Scott for more than two decades. He was 88.
- A member of the Bass Fishing Hall of Fame, Scott founded the first professional bass fishing tournament in the late 1960s.
- Read more from Jay Reeves HERE.
ALABAMA DAILY NEWS – Britt surges, Durant slips in latest Senate poll
ALABAMA DAILY NEWS – Fugitive inmate captured after manhunt, ex-jail officer dead
ALABAMA DAILY NEWS – Airbus expansion to add 1,000 jobs in Mobile
ALABAMA DAILY NEWS – Biden signs Ukraine bill, seeks $40B aid, in Putin rejoinder
ALABAMA DAILY NEWS – ‘Ultimate showman’ of bass fishing, Ray Scott, dead at 88
ALABAMA DAILY NEWS – Four Republicans vie for secretary of state
ALABAMA DAILY NEWS – Poole: Alabama on ‘sound footing’ moving forward with prison plan
ALABAMA DAILY NEWS – Boswell: state is ‘excited’ to have two more mental health crisis centers coming online
ALABAMA DAILY NEWS – US markets point to sharp declines following global sell-off
ALABAMA DAILY NEWS – White House says internet providers to discount fee for poor
AL.COM – Alabama puberty blocker ban leaves trans youth, families with questions
AL.COM – 1,000 new jobs: Airbus confirms third assembly line for Mobile
AL.COM – Yearlong strike cost Warrior Met Coal nearly $10 million in first quarter
AL.COM – UAB, Children’s hospitals to halt youth transgender care as new law takes effect
AL.COM – ‘I feel diluted’: Single-mother fleeing war in Ukraine trying to get to Alabama
AL.COM – Baby formula shortage gets worse: Outages 40% in some places
AL.COM – Free high-speed internet now available from 20 companies: Who is eligible?
AL.COM – Columnist Dana Hall McCain: Love them both
AL.COM – Columnist Roy Johnson: Look at what we’ve done: Alabama doc ‘very tempted to break (transgender medical ban) law’
Montgomery Advertiser – Escaped inmate Casey White captured, jailer Vicky White dead after U.S. Marshal chase in Indiana
Montgomery Advertiser – What we know about escaped inmate, corrections officer from Lauderdale County captured
Montgomery Advertiser – Montgomery police respond to fatal shooting on Eastern Blvd.
Decatur Daily – Resident pushing city for tree protection ordinance
WBRC Fox 6 Birmingham – Project moving forward to replace old Carraway hospital
WBRC Fox 6 Birmingham – Youth transgender treatment ban in Alabama now in effect
WBRC Fox 6 Birmingham – 5 people injured in Tuscaloosa shooting
Tuscaloosa News – Escaped inmate Casey White captured, jailer Vicky White dead after U.S. Marshal chase in Indiana
Tuscaloosa News – What we know about escaped inmate, corrections officer from Lauderdale County captured
Tuscaloosa News – ‘He’s our miracle’: Southside man comes home after 269 days in hospital with COVID-19
YellowHammer News – 15-year-old media personality Brilyn Hollyhand receives John Lewis Youth Leadership Award
YellowHammer News – Secretary of State candidate Wes Allen: ‘I do not believe in election month — I believe in Election Day’
YellowHammer News – AL-5 hopeful Paul Sanford lands Alabama Republican Assembly endorsement — ‘Voters want an honest and hard working fighter’
Gadsden Times – Inaugural Community Spring Festival is May 14 at NE Etowah Community Center
Gadsden Times – Escaped inmate Casey White captured, jailer Vicky White dead after U.S. Marshal chase in Indiana
Gadsden Times – What we know about escaped inmate, corrections officer from Lauderdale County captured
Dothan Eagle – Unionist party refuses to form new N Ireland government
Dothan Eagle – Hong Kong leader says China patriots now firmly in charge
Dothan Eagle – Biden announces program offering discounted internet service
Opelika-Auburn News – Russia pounds Ukraine’s vital port of Odesa, Mariupol plant
Opelika-Auburn News – Shanghai re-tightens on COVID, frustrating trapped residents
Opelika-Auburn News – Germany saw more politically motivated crimes in 2021
WSFA Montgomery – Manhunt Ends: Vicky White dead, Casey White in custody after police chase in Indiana
WSFA Montgomery – Ex-Montgomery officer turns self-in to serve manslaughter sentence
WSFA Montgomery – 5 people injured in Tuscaloosa shooting
WAFF Huntsville – U.S. Marshals identify second vehicle in hunt for Vicky and Casey White
WAFF Huntsville – Search for missing inmate, former corrections officer ends in Indiana
WAFF Huntsville – Preventative COVID-19 treatment available in Tennessee Valley
WKRG Mobile – With pomp but no queen, UK govt sets out the year’s agenda
WKRG Mobile – Crucial NATO decisions expected in Finland, Sweden this week
WKRG Mobile – Biden signs Ukraine bill, seeks $40B aid, in Putin rejoinder
WTVY Dothan – Manhunt Ends: Vicky White dead, Casey White in custody after police chase in Indiana
WTVY Dothan – U.S. Marshals identify second vehicle in hunt for Vicky and Casey White
WTVY Dothan – Vandals destroy Alfred Saliba Family Service Center
WASHINGTON POST – Missiles strike Odessa; U.S. lawmakers to debate $40B Ukraine aid bill
WASHINGTON POST – Biden signs Ukraine lend-lease act into law, expediting military aid
WASHINGTON POST – Russian TV, online platforms hacked with antiwar message on Victory Day
NEW YORK TIMES – Live Updates: Missiles Hit Odesa in Ukraine’s South as Russia Seeks Gains in East
NEW YORK TIMES – Russian Guided Weapons Miss the Mark, U.S. Defense Officials Say
NEW YORK TIMES – For Tens of Millions of Americans, the Good Times Are Right Now
WALL STREET JOURNAL – Stock Futures Gain After Selloff Sends Indexes to 2022 Lows
WALL STREET JOURNAL – Elon Musk Says His Twitter Plans Align With EU’s New Social-Media Rules
WALL STREET JOURNAL – Caterpillar Works to Turn Old Engines Into New Profits